Sunday, May 06, 2007

Run VI



[VIDEO REDACTED]

My first version of this was about half this length. I chopped it down to create a non-stop barrage of boys running and shouting. Total mayhem.

But the boy complained. He had seen the unedited assembly and loved it. When I presented him the finished piece he was mad that I had wrecked it. To humor him, I reassembled the four original shots and let him watch that a few more times.

Then I looked back at my "official" edit, and my heart sank.

The boy's edit was better.

Sure in the raw footage there are moments of dead space, and some awkward transitional framings, but in attempting to remove the rougher bits I had taken out all sense of context, of pacing, of beginning, middle, and end. It was just a bunch of random shots stitched together. Maybe I could have slapped on a pop song and turned it into a music video. (Maybe I'll still do that.)

For now, however, consider this the boy's first project as editor. I can't wait to see what he's making when he's five.

Length: 2:50

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home