Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Evie's Dancing Song



Our five-year-old friend Evie is a dancer and impresario, who often drafts her younger cousin Ema into her dining room dance performances. She is additionally aided by the concert pianist in the family, who writes custom musical accompaniments such as this one.*

What I find brilliant here is not just the spontaneity and exuberance of Evie's dancing, but Ema's total commitment to following along, despite having no idea what Evie is about to do next.

In my six years of improv comedy I can't claim to have ever matched it.

Length: 2:00

Click to view

*Music a family (c) copyright special, so ask before re-use.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I once went to a improvisation festival breakout session populated by a roomful of avant-garde dancers and two of us theatre types. I volunteered that in my experience, the transcendant moments of theatre as an audience member, where I completely connected with what was going on onstage, only took place viewing shows that were carefully directed, rehearsed, polished, and choreographed.

Every single dancer in the room had the opposite experience. Their peak experiences as audience members was found in the sublime moments of total connection between two or more dancers who were improvising together.

I didn't understand.

But at the time, I'd never seen children dance.

9:21 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home