Thursday, August 04, 2005

2 Baseballs



From the FAQ of Ourmedia, a heroic band of true believers whose efforts and server space have made much of the new Matchbook Films possible (and yet, I surmise, may not be parents themselves):
Q: Can I publish the miles of video I've shot of my darling children?
A: If you must. Keep in mind, though, that Ourmedia spotlights creative culture, and so we prefer finished, edited works that others would care to view.
Does this video qualify as "creative" or "edited" or as something "others" would care to view? Do any of my clips about The Boy?

I understand the trepidation. Like tender, romantic love, the love of a parent for a child is nearly impossible to turn into good art. I can count on one finger instances I have witnessed.

I stayed up late last night to scan through a 60 min DV tape of my darling child. There was plenty there that captured his personality, that I will treasure in years to come when he is distant and hostile and I want to remember what it was like for him to enjoy my company. But I wouldn't post any of it here.

How is this clip any different? Why do I watch it over and over again? Is it merely because The Boy is my own?

In what context might this be art?

Length: 0:33

Click to view

SEE ALSO: the Special Edition edit of 2 Baseballs

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Ourmedia is missing 90 years of modern art history is they are wanting evidence of an individual's fingerprints or sweat on a submitted file.

Your selection and posting of this footage is prima facie evidence of editing, and of creative effort, of art (Thank you, Marcel Duchamp). I'd call it found art, or found narrative, and I think it works as a standalone piece (and not merely as ephemera documenting your offspring), because its action is simultaneously universal and yet specific to the boy.

Besides, if it wasn't on Ourmedia, how could anyone add a Flash animated collage of a kitten to do aerobic dancing and make "art?"

11:31 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home