Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Story Time #3: How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?



Buy the book. Or the DVD.

Alma Gloeckler retired from the classroom after teaching my brother's first grade class, but she stayed on at the school as a one-to-one reading instructor. I was fortunate enough to spend time each week in Miss Gloeckler's supply closet of a room, but the environs never mattered to me so much as the access to new and interesting books.

My brother recently shared some reminiscences of Alma on the occasion of her 100th birthday. One reflection stood out for me as something I'd not been wholly conscious of.
When she read to us...she announced the author and illustrator with a reverence that we began to hold these professions in higher esteem than any other we'd previously considered.
As you'll see here, the boy's auditory recollection indicates we've been doing the same for him.

Moreover, my respect for authors, of children's literature in particular, led me to police myself a bit on this one along the intellectual property borderline.

With luck it won't diminish what is quite possibly the cutest footage I have ever captured of the boy. Although if you're an English reader you may need to go back and watch it a second time.

Length: 2:28

Flashless? (Click to view)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!

- Jeff

6:36 PM PDT  
Blogger Tim said...

Whoa-- You got an email from Jane Yolen!

Technically speaking, with Ben's recitation of Yolen's text captured on video, you've created a derivative work... but I've said too much.

10:58 PM PDT  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

One of my favorite books. And yeah, the kid has quite the memory.

2:01 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home